My Job Experience includes:
- Author: Lean Marketing House, Marketing w/A3, Marketing w/PDCA, Lean Engagement Team, CAP-Do, Lean Service Design
- Speaker: Lean Services, Lean Sales & Marketing, Problem Diagnostics, Service Design
- 2005 to Present: Business901: Lean Services, Sales and Marketing Consulting firm
- 2005 to 2011: Owner of Wild Hare Décor, a home furnishing store in Fort Wayne, IN.
- 1996 to 2004: President/Owner Burke Heating Systems Corporation, Columbia City, IN
- 1996 to 2004: Asphalt Machinery Corporation, Edmond, Oklahoma/Columbia City, IN
- 1994 to 1996: President of Machinery Sales Group, Sales & Marketing Organization
- 1989 to 1994: President of Asphalt Drum Mixers, Inc. of Huntertown, IN
- 1977 to 1989: General Manager, Sales, Engineering, Service Tech, Purchasing, Welder @ Asphalt Drum Mixers, Inc. of Huntertown, IN
My Education includes:
- Associate Degree in Mechanical Engineering @ Ivy Tech
- Associate Degree in Electronic Engineering @ ITT
- Business Classes @ IIT (Did not complete degree)
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt
- Franklin Covey – 4 Disciplines of Execution
- Janet Switzer’s Publishing Maverick’s Program
Marketing Background: In these companies, I developed and supported distribution channels, original equipment manufacturers and direct sales. My blog and podcast though very niche orientated in the continuous improvement field has proven quite successful. Bloomberg’s Business Week website has recognized its contributions by featuring it on their home page three times in the past year. I am well versed both in past and more importantly in current marketing practices. Created numerous training programs utilizing the latest in technologies for a blended approach and separately (Online & Offline).
Barlow Marketing Group and Machinery Sales Group were part of a sales and marketing group which I owned and operated. We were a full service marketing company that worked for a variety of construction equipment manufacturers who ranged in size from $2 million to $30 million in sales revenue. We acted as their in-house marketing department coordinating with the owners, vice-presidents and product managers.
Business Development Background: My career has included 30 years in manufacturing, designing, selling and servicing construction related equipment. I have been a manager that has developed new markets and distribution channels. As an example, when I became President of Asphalt Drum Mixers, we were exporting to only 2 countries, Canada and Mexico. In less than 5 years, we had exported to over 22 additional countries.
Environmental Background: I understand the Environmental field through my equipment experience and have been instrumental in permitting Asphalt and Soil Remediation Plants. I have also attended many seminars, more specifically on groundwater contamination, hazardous waste and air pollution testing. My background has included the responsibility for the performance of equipment passing air quality standards in over 30 states. My safety background has been in developing construction equipment standards and managing safety programs in both a manufacturing and construction environment.
Equipment Background: My career of 30 years has been in manufacturing, designing, selling and servicing hot mix plants and other construction related equipment. I have taken several new products to market to include Soil Remediation Plants, Ground Tire Rubber Blender, Helical Coil Thermal Fluid Heater and a Terminal Booster Heater. I have manufactured over 300 asphalt plants while at ADM, over 250 tanks and 150 heaters at Burke, and many dry additive systems at AMC.
Process Equipment Background: I understand process equipment and have a solid foundation in combustion, pneumatics, hydraulics and air and material handling. In addition, my background includes electrical, electronics and computer applications. I have been responsible and have “hands on experience” with heavy equipment products in the construction industry to include Hot Mix Asphalt Plants, Soil Remediation Plants, Ground Tire Rubber Blenders, Helical Coil Thermal Fluid Heater and the controls that make them all work.
Organizational Background: When I became President of ADM, we had leveled off in sales of 3 million for several years with a stagnant product line. We did this profitably and increased sales from 3 million to over 12 million in my 5 years. I purchased Asphalt Machinery and Burke Heating Systems the following year. Asphalt Machinery was a parts supplier in Oklahoma. Burke was a tank/heater manufacturer who had an excellent name in the past but had not actually been in business for over 3 years. I started a manufacturing facility in Columbia City, IN with 0 employees. Burke did over 1 million in the 1st year and increase to over 5 million in the next 3 years.
Retail Background: My participation at Wild Hare Décor consists of managing the back-end functions (finance, marketing, vendor management) of a retail operation. The store was highlighted as one of the Retail Stars of 2010 by the Home Accents Magazine, a premier trade publication. According to plan, we decided to discontinue operations at the end of 2011.